Sunday, July 8, 2007

The Great Faith Race: Round 4

CafePress.com is a wonderfully diverse marketplace. Which led me to wonder how diverse it really is. Therefore, I decided to run an experiment called "The Great Faith Race." I took a sampling of major religions or religious figures and searched in the CafePress marketplace to see how many designs came up. Then I just sorted the results and am sharing them below. I ran this list the first time on April 30, 2007 and the second time on May 15, 2007 and the third time on June 10, 2007 so I'll also include comparison data.


COMPARISON DATA: The comparison data is for data on 7/08/07 compared to 6/10/07.

NEWLY ADDED: Jewish, Judaism, Hebrew, Druid, Voodoo, Shamanism, Kabbalah, Scientology, Quetzalcoatl, Voodou and Jedi have been added this round at the request of some of our blog readers (so keep the suggestions/comments coming!).

OBSERVATIONS: There were numerous searches that completed this month with fewer designs than last month. This may simply be an indication of the quirkiness of the CafePress marketplace rather than actual deletion of designs.
  • Voodou was suggested and added - Although this may be the correct spelling of voodou, we can see that people are using the voodoo spelling much more often.
  • Islam and Satan had the exact same number of designs this time - I ran it a few times to make sure what I thought I was seeing was actually what I should be seeing. Again, no need to read too much into this observation.
  • Agnostic and Hindu had the largest percentage increase noted for this round.
  • Zero designs were found for "Jedi" - though I suspect this has more to do with copyright issues than anything else.
  • Allah and Muhammad had the largest declines this round, again probably due to marketplace search quirkiness than anything really meaningful.

DISCLAIMERS: Although this appears to be very scientific in nature, this assumption should not be made. In other words, this is an unscientific study. Use this information, if at all, at your own risk. We make absolutely no warranties, expressed or implied, as to ... well ... anything. You get the drift.

Feel free to add your comments or observations. If I ever feel compelled to run "The Great Faith Race" again, did I miss any of your favorite religions or religious icons? Let us know!

No comments: